Wulvern[logo] - your home team
Home / customer information / report anti-social behaviour

anti-social behaviour

If you have been affected by anti-social behaviour, we can help

At Wulvern we are proactive in encouraging neighbours to get along with each other, building good relationships and ensuring that our neighbourhoods are peaceful places in which to live. However we recognise that sometimes tensions arise and relationships can break down, often as a result of anti-social behaviour.

Wulvern provides a robust response to anti-social behaviour in our communities and our Safer Neighbourhoods Team resolves hundreds of neighbour problems each year. We are able to help neighbours get along with each other and provide support to victims. We have strong relationships with partnering agencies such as the police, and if necessary we can take enforcement action through a wide range of legal powers.

If you have been affected by anti-social behaviour and would like to report it, or simply have an informal chat about the options available and how we can help, please get in touch. 

Call us today 01270 506203 or email saferneighbourhoods@wulvernhousing.org.uk

To view our policy on anti-social behaviour please click here.

anti-social behaviour - frequently asked questions

Q:  What is anti-social behaviour?

A:  The tenancy agreement describes anti-social behaviour as any behaviour which causes a ‘nuisance, annoyance or disturbance’ to other people.

Q:  What sort of things would be classed as anti-social behaviour?

A:  The tenancy agreement lists a number of examples (below), but it is important to understand that these are only examples. There are many other types of behaviour that could be included.

  • Illegal sub-letting
  • Playing loud music
  • Excessive noise from a radio or television
  • Arguing and door slamming
  • Loud banging noises
  • Fighting
  • DIY activities at unreasonable hours
  • Offensive behaviour including offensive drunkenness
  • Acts of aggression
  • Domestic violence
  • Throwing objects out of windows or off balconies
  • Rubbish dumping and fly tipping
  • Playing ball games close to someone else's home
  • Vandalism to Wulvern or other’s property
  • Failure to control children living in the property
  • Criminal activities such as selling drugs, storage of stolen goods, arson and burglary
  • Drug, alcohol or substance abuse
  • Congregations of people or children
  • The organisation of protection rackets
  • Failure to control animals

Q  Are there any other rules that Wulvern tenants have to follow?

A:  Yes, a full list can found in the terms of the tenancy agreement.

Q:  What time do I have to turn my music off?

A:  The tenancy agreement doesn’t set any specific time. Our tenants can play music at any time of the day, as long as it doesn’t disturb anyone else. On the other hand, if your music is disturbing other people, you’re breaking the rules – whatever time it is.

Q:  What if the tenant is behaving properly, but their children or friends are causing trouble?

A:  Under the terms of our tenancy agreement, the tenant is held responsible for the behaviour of everyone who lives with them, and everyone who visits their home. This applies whether they are in the property, gardens, communal areas or wider neighbourhood.

Q:  Do I have to be a Wulvern tenant to make a complaint about anti-social behaviour?

A:  No, we will take complaints from anybody affected by anti-social behaviour in the local area. .

Q:  What happens when I make a complaint?

A:  The Safer Neighbourhoods Team will aim to contact you within 5 days of receiving the complaint (or within 24 hours for more serious incidents). This could take place over the phone, at your home, at our office, or another venue of your choice. The Safer Neighbourhoods Team will take all the details, ask further questions, and agree with you how the case will be dealt with. Although each case can vary, steps taken will usually involve interviewing the alleged perpertrator.

Q:  Will my neighbours find out that I’ve made a complaint against them?

A:  All complaints are dealt with in confidence. We never tell your neighbours who has made the complaint, unless you’ve agreed to it beforehand. However there may come a point where we’re not able to take any further action without revealing your identity. In these instances we would discuss this with you.

Q:  Which other agencies do Wulvern work with to resolve anti-social behaviour problems?

A:  Wulvern is a key member of the Crewe and Nantwich Safer Communities Partnership, and meet regularly with our partners to discuss common problems, identify trends or ‘hotspots’, and agree a partnership-based response.  Organisations we work with include Cheshire Constabulary, Cheshire East Council (Community Wardens, Environmental Health, CCTV service), Cheshire County Council (Social Services, Community Safety), the Youth Offending Team, Probation Service, Trading Standards, the Fire Service and other registered social landlords in the area.

Q:  What non-legal measures can Wulvern use to tackle anti-social behaviour?

A:  Options include

  • Tenancy warnings – verbal and written warnings, reminding our tenants that they could lose their homes if they cause anti-social behaviour.
  • Mediation – a process whereby an independent mediator meets both parties involved in a dispute, and tries to find an agreement that both sides are happy with.
  • Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs) – a written commitment from the tenant or their child, agreeing to abide by certain conditions for a fixed period of time, to stop them causing anti-social behaviour.
  • Parenting Contracts – a written commitment from a parent, agreeing to take certain steps to control their child(ren)’s behaviour.
  • Security improvements – changes to the physical environment that make it more difficult for perpetrators to cause anti-social behaviour.

Q:  What legal measures can Wulvern use to tackle anti-social behaviour?

A:  Our powers include:

  • Injunction orders – a short-term measure whereby a Court orders an individual to behave in certain ways, or not to behave in other ways.
  • Anti-social behaviour orders (ASBOs) - a court order which lasts for a minimum of three yeras, placing restrictions on an individual's conduct (for example, ordering them not to associate with certian people, or not to enter a certain stree
  • Parenting Orders – a Court order which instructs a parent to take certain steps to control their child(ren)’s behaviour.
  • Tenancy Demotion – the removal of a tenant’s security of tenure, so that if there are further problems in future, Wulvern can decide whether or not to end the tenancy.
  • Ending a Starter Tenancy – the service of a Notice on a tenant who is still in their 12 month ‘probationary’ period, instructing them to leave the property within approximately 2 months.
  • Possession Order – a Court order which instructs the tenant to leave the property by a certain date, and return possession to the landlord.  This can result in the tenant and their household being evicted.

Q:  Can I get my neighbour evicted?

A:  Wulvern sees eviction as a last resort and would prefer to resolve the problem through other means. Seeking possession of a property is a long and expensive process and there are usually better ways of stopping people from acting in an unacceptable way.  However when other options have been exhausted, we are prepared to seek possession and evict anti-social tenants, for the sake of the wider community. The decision to evict rests with the County Court Judge; we put a case to the Judge, and he or she decides whether eviction is justified.

Q:  Would I have to testify in court?

A:  Our case is strongest when the victim of anti-social behaviour is able to tell the Court what has happened to them and how it has affected their life. Wulvern would discuss this with you in depth and support you through the process.  However there are times when we are able to use your evidence anonymously, without revealing your identity; and we are also able to rely on evidence from other sources, such as CCTV footage, or professional witnesses.

Q:  What support can you provide for victims of anti-social behaviour?

A:  In certain circumstances we can provide the following:

  • Regular contact with a named officer;
  • Security improvements at your home;
  • An out-of hours witness support service, offering advice and assistance at any time of the day or night.
Apply for a Wulvern HomeReport a repair...get it fixedPay your rent on-line / set up paymentsWorking for Wulvern - Apply online